Holiday Survival Guide
1. Eat slowly. Savor the flavor and enjoy conversations! Setting down your fork or spoon between bites is an easy way to eat more slowly, giving you time to reach that full feeling on less food.
2. Be Present. It’s easy to feel stressed during the holidays. Focus on the real reason for the season. Forget perfect, be Present with your family.
3. MOVE. Stick to your exercise routine or find away to add in movement. Skip the elevator/escalator and take the stairs when you’re out shopping. Take a family walk after your meal or play an active game like charades or the Wii.
4. Beware of liquid calories. Alcohol, eggnog, soda and lattes taste great and go down easy, but they carry A LOT of calories – very often more than we realize. For example, a cup (8oz.) of eggnog, on average, contains around 340 calories, 19 grams of fat (11 grams of which are saturated fat), and 21 grams of sugar. Again, moderation is key – opt for smaller sizes and limit how much you consume, or choose a healthier alternative altogether.
5. Drink water. Drinking water before your holiday feast will not only keep you hydrated, but will also help you from overeating. It’s also a great way to curb snacking – people often confuse thirst for hunger pangs!
6. Simple Swap. There are many easy recipe substitutions that can health-ify your holiday recipes without sacrificing flavor:
• Use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil when baking.
• Use almond or coconut milk (or coconut cream when possible).
• Use extra virgin olive or coconut oil instead of butter in savory recipes. • Use low-fat ground turkey instead of ground beef.
• Use low-fat plain yogurt in place of sour cream.
• Cut the amount of salt in half, and use herbs for flavor.
7. Do something for others. The holidays can be a tough time for people for a variety of reasons. But it’s also a great time to give a little back and do something to brighten someone else’s day! Plus, it can also be really therapeutic. So, get in the spirit of the season and spread some holiday cheer!